Re: flycheck on Emacs24

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: flycheck on Emacs24
Date: Fri, 02 May 2014 01:18:14 +0100

haines@haines.att.net writes:

> I'm running Debian Wheezy and compiled Emacs 24.3.1 and am using it. I
> naturally wanted to upgrade from flymake to flycheck.

What’s wrong with using emacs own package manager, ELPA? It does it
all for you and is dead simple to use = options -> use package
manager and then just choose what you want to install. Its a lot
quicker and a lot easier and simpler too! And you could have got
emacs too from the wheezy repos, why make life difficult for
yourself?

Sharon.

> I downloaded a flycheck 20140422.657 tar into
> /usr/local/share/flycheck. Unarchiving it creates a directory in which
> there is flycheck-pkg.el, flycheck.el, flycheck.info.
>
> I didn't know how to install these files, and so tried copying them into
> ~/elisp.
>
> I added a line in ~/.elisp:
>
>    (add-hook 'after-init-hook #'global-flycheck-mode)
>
> But when I try to initialize flycheck with M-x global-flycheck-mode
> I get:
>
>   M-x global-flycheck [No Match]
>
> How should I have installed the file? There weres no directions.
>
> Haines Brown

TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.4.50.16