Re: backing up hard drive with emacs?

From: Hans BKK
Subject: Re: backing up hard drive with emacs?
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 09:22:00 -0700 (PDT)

Yes this is totally off-topic for a forum discussing a text editor but here
goes 8-)

On Wednesday, May 14, 2014 11:53:49 PM UTC-4, Steven Arntson wrote:
> Haha, yes, emacs pretty much is my operating system, which is why I was
> curious. :) That said, I'm using Ubuntu. I looked at a couple of rsync
> examples, and I think that program looks pretty good--I'm going to try it.

rsync is a great tool, but a simple command-line one that will rely on your
self-discipline to use properly.

Better IMO to set something up that is automatic and you don't have to think
about it.

If you keep all your user-created documents/files under home, then that will
help you by only having to back up that one dirtree.

Of course in the event of a system failure/HDD crash you will need to reinstall
Ubuntu and your apps, and reset your configs the way you like.

If you want to avoid that then a full-drive-image program like Clonezilla
(similar to the old "ghost" software if you've heard of that) is a good idea,
can run that less frequently than your data backups.

Note that some people want to keep a historical record of past file versions,
protect themselves from accidental deletions discovered weeks later, that
requires more full-fledged corporate-style backup software.

And finally, if you have very important data and want protection from e.g. fire
or theft, then you should have multiple backup storage media and rotate them
off-site.

Here are some links from a quick google:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ubuntu+automatic+backup&hl=en&pws=0

BackupYourSystem - Community Help Wiki
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem

software recommendation - Comparison of backup tools - Ask Ubuntu
http://askubuntu.com/questions/2596/comparison-of-backup-tools

How to Back Up Ubuntu the Easy Way with Déjà Dup
http://www.howtogeek.com/108869/how-to-back-up-ubuntu-the-easy-way-with-dj-dup/

[ubuntu] Best backup software for backing up /home - all of it

[ubuntu] Backup Software for Ubuntu

Automatically Backup Ubuntu To External USB Devices In 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal)
| Liberian Geek
http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/12/automatically-backup-ubuntu-to-external-usb-devices-in-12-10-quantal-quetzal/

Top 7 Ubuntu Desktop Backup Software
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2012/05/backup-ubuntu-desktop/