Re: Getting Emacs to play nice with Hunspell and apostrophes

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Getting Emacs to play nice with Hunspell and apostrophes
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 00:59:21 +0700

On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 12:43 AM, Robert Thorpe
<rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> wrote:
> Nikolai Weibull <now@disu.se> writes:
>> “isn’t”
>
> In Britain and Ireland we generally use "isn't", notice there's no angle
> on the apostrophe.  The one you're using "’" is the Unicode RIGHT
> QUOTATION MARK.  So, to Emacs you are closing quotes around "isn" and
> putting a "t" straight after that.
>
> As far as I know, if you want to use Unicode that would be "isnʼt" which
> is MODIFIER LETTER APOSTROPHE.  Have a look with C-u C-x =.  I don't
> know if using that will work though.

The Unicode tables say:

0027 ' APOSTROPHE
[…]
• 2019 ’ is preferred for apostrophe

2019 ’ RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK
= single comma quotation mark
• this is the preferred character to use for apostrophe

02BC ʼ MODIFIER LETTER APOSTROPHE
= apostrophe
• glottal stop, glottalization, ejective
• many languages use this as a letter of their alphabets
• used as a tone marker in Bodo, Dogri, and Maithili
• 2019 ’ is the preferred character for a punctuation apostrophe

In English, the apostrophe is neither a glottal stop mark, nor a
letter, nor a tone marker, so 02BC does not apply. 2019 is the correct
code, although it is unfortunate that it is overloaded with a closing
single quote.