Re: GNU Emacs manual in plain text

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs manual in plain text
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 02:38:24 +0200

> You can also use Emacs-w3m for this. Navigate to the
> URL, then `C-x w' (write-file) and save it to, say,
> page.txt. Check what kind of file it is with
> 'file'. If it says it is UTF-8 or whatever, you can
> use 'recode -f ascii page.txt'. (-f will drop things
> that cannot be recoded.)
>
> Emacs-w3m and recode has to be aptituded from the
> repositories.

Oh, I forgot to mention, 'fold' is useful to change the
length of the lines - 55 chars is perhaps a good digit
- remember, it shouldn't be too wide - just think of
newspaper and magazine articles which typically have
something like three columns for a split A3 - all to
increase readability. (Though to get the max of it, I
think you have to write in a certain way as well...)
Anyway:

fold -s -w 55 old_file.txt > new_file.txt

-w (--width) is to set the desired length (in chars)

-s (--spaces) is to tell fold to break lines at spaces

This would be the last step before

lpr -P $LPDEST page.txt

and then you get to do the absolutely best part: to
read it :)

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573