Re: Getting Emacs to play nice with Hunspell and apostrophes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Getting Emacs to play nice with Hunspell and apostrophes
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 19:58:21 +0300

> Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 12:43:24 +0700
> From: Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com>
> Cc: "help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org" <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> From a spell checker, in particular, I expect that it should
> (perhaps with an optional switch) be able to flag as error any
> spelling of “isn’t” where the character between n and t is not the
> preferred apostrophe character U+2019.

You cannot expect that from a speller.  You should expect that from
people who produce the dictionaries for the speller, because it's the
dictionary files that tell the speller which characters can and cannot
appear in a word, and which suffixes can and cannot be appended to a
word for it to remain correctly spelled.

Hunspell already supports all that, it's just your dictionary that
doesn't.  Look at the *.aff files to understand how the ' apostrope
works, and you will see why the speller is not the issue here.