Re: Swedish midsummer legends: IPC, collaborative Emacs, sed, awk, DWIM,

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Swedish midsummer legends: IPC, collaborative Emacs, sed, awk, DWIM, Unix, and more
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 00:54:18 +0100

> where it is subject to the conventional Unix piping and
> parsing just as sed or awk or whatever (but
> interestingly, such use isn't that common, is it?). As
> for Emacs as a client, server, daemon, etc., I have no
> experience from that but it would be interesting to
> hear. Can you send commands to the server, telling it
> to do Elisp, and then get a buffer with the results
> back?

Of-course, see "Invoking Emacsclient" in the Emacs info manual.  The
startup-time of the way you're doing it is likely to be long.  Programs
like sed & awk are much smaller and simpler, they don't suffer from that
problem.  It's quite possible to write text-processing scripts in Elisp
this way, I've done it myself.  Now there are good scripting languages
few people do it though.

The rest of your message has some useful stuff in it.  It's is rather
like a blog post.  Have you thought of writing a blog on Emacs and
putting in stuff like this?

BR,
Robert Thorpe