Re: Feeling lost without tabs

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Feeling lost without tabs
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 20:34:48 +0200

Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> writes:

> The multiple keys part is easy:
>
> (define-key global-map [(f9)] 'electric-buffer-list)

Well, it is not that easy. Look on the keyboard where
`C-x C-b' is and where F9 is. While I agree `C-x C-b'
isn't good (too long), it is better than F9 because the
function keys - as well as the arrow keys, the numeric
keypad, etc. - require you to move your hand(s) away
from typing position(s). They are difficult to hit so
you need to look down to hit them. Then you need to
reset with the same problem. I never use them. A short
keystroke is not always better that a long.

> Why hit 2 keys for something you do so often?
>
> For, me tabs would be a huge annoyance.  I've got the
> WM set to no title bar for emacs.  I've got emacs
> customized for no toolbar and no menubar.  So, all
> I've got in Emacs windows is text.

Yes, I do the same. The OP isn't all Emacs just
yet... you just wait :)

--
underground experts united