Re: Feeling lost without tabs

From: Javier
Subject: Re: Feeling lost without tabs
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 15:14:05 +0000 (UTC)

I think dealing with frames in windows/mac is much more difficult than
in linux.  In windows, having multiple frames open will overfill the
taskbar.  Window managers in Linux are more powerful and have better
ways of dealing with multiple frames by virtual desktops or iconifying
windows.

Some usefuld keybindings for dealing with frames:

(global-set-key [f4] 'delete-frame)  ;originally bound to call-kbd-macro (also
accessible with C-x e)
(global-set-key [C-f4] 'delete-frame)

;; navigate frames with Shift + arrow left/right
(defun other-frame-dec () "" (interactive) (other-frame '+1))
(defun other-frame-inc () "" (interactive) (other-frame '-1))
(global-set-key [S-left] 'other-frame-dec)
(global-set-key [S-right] 'other-frame-inc)

If you like frames you can make almost evertyhing pop up in a new
frame and not have the default screen splitting-in-2 behaviour

(setq pop-up-frames t)   ;;; everything is opened in a new frame.

You will never again see a split screen unless you ask explicitly for
it with C-x 2.  That has its drawbacks, like completition buffers
popping up in a new frame.  Sometimes the frames will remain in the
background and it seems that nothing has been opened, specially in
console mode.

(setq frame-auto-hide-function 'delete-frame)
;;; Kill frames instead of hiding them by pressing q (in completition buffers)