writing your own theme and tabbar

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: writing your own theme and tabbar
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 16:46:43 +0100

I'm trying to develop/write my own theme which is doing more or less
what I want, except for 'tabbar'. This is what I have -
 '(tabbar-selected-highlight ((t (:background "black" :foreground "red" :height
85))))
 '(tabbar-selected-modified ((t (:background "black" :foreground "red" :weight
bold :height 85))))
 '(tabbar-default ((t (:inherit variable-pitch :background "gray" :foreground
"black" :weight bold :height 85))))
 '(tabbar-selected ((t (:inherit tabbar-default :background "black" :foreground
"red" :weight bold :height 85))))
 '(tabbar-modified ((t (:background "black" :foreground "red" :weight bold
:height 85)))))

And what I'm looking for in the tab of the buffer that I'm in is a black
background with red text. But its not happening, instead what I'm
getting is red text on a light green background.

But, in buffers like *org-agenda-mode* or *org-agenda* it is showing
_exactly_ what I'm looking for. Red text on a black background.

Tabbar default is black text on a light-green background, and this seems
to be the code-source for it as its the only place where 'green' is
mentioned, from "tabbar.el" -
(defface tabbar-modified
  '((t
     :inherit tabbar-default
     :box (:line-width 1 :color "white" :style released-button)
     :foreground "green"
     ))
  "Face used for unsaved tabs."
  :group 'tabbar)

and tabbar-default is -
(defface tabbar-default
  '(
    ;;(((class color grayscale) (background light))
    ;; :inherit variable-pitch
    ;; :height 0.8
    ;; :foreground "gray50"
    ;; :background "grey75"
    ;; )
    (((class color grayscale) (background dark))
     :inherit variable-pitch
     :height 0.8
     :foreground "grey75"
     :background "gray50"
     )
    (((class mono) (background light))
     :inherit variable-pitch
     :height 0.8
     :foreground "black"
     :background "white"
     )
    (((class mono) (background dark))
     :inherit variable-pitch
     :height 0.8
     :foreground "white"
     :background "black"
     )
    (t
     :inherit variable-pitch
     :height 0.8
     :foreground "gray50"
     :background "gray75"
     ))
  "Default face used in the tab bar."
  :group 'tabbar)

How can I achieve my goal please of red foreground on a black background
for every tab/buffer that is currently in use, i.e. I'm writing in that
buffer.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.93.1