Re: Flycheck reports are never satisfying!?

From: Sebastian Wiesner
Subject: Re: Flycheck reports are never satisfying!?
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 11:01:53 +0200

Am 28.08.2014 um 17:48 schrieb Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>:

>> Isn’t that what we have „with-eval-after-load“ for?
>
> with-eval-after-load is there to help make startup more lazy.  But it's
> not particularly designed to help silence "spurious" byte-compiler warnings.
>
>> At least, that’s what I am using in my init.el to avoid warnings about
>> free variables.
>
> I'm surprised it works for you.

I'm sorry, it doesn't, of course.  I mistakenly assumed that
with-eval-after-load did that, but actually I'm using my own macro on top of
with-eval-after-load that requires the given feature during byte compilation.
I forgot about that.

Please excuse the confusion.

> This said, maybe the byte-compiler should treat it specially
> (i.e. treat it sort of like a `require' and forcefully load the file
> before processing the body of the with-eval-after-load).

Couldn't with-eval-after-load just require the feature if
byte-compile-current-file is non-nil?

At least, that's what I am doing in my own macro, and it works reasonably well.