RE: Elispers all around the world (was: Re: describe-mode "some-mode"?)

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Elispers all around the world (was: Re: describe-mode "some-mode"?)
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 15:29:06 -0700 (PDT)

> > If you want something added to vanilla Emacs, use
> > `M-x report-emacs-bug'. That is for enhancement
> > requests and bug reports. It will bring the request
> > to the attention of Emacs Dev, you will get their
> > response, and the request or issue will be tracked.
>
> You don't think that the thousands of Joe Elisp Hackers
> all over the world with their .emacs and .gnus and
> private libraries; and all the packages in ELPA, MELPA,
> and Marmalade; and all the code in the EmacsWiki; and
> all the code published on Usenet and listbots and on
> the SX sites and other forums - you don't think this
> total diaspora could benefit from a more elaborate
> review system than `report-emacs-bug'?

Same advice applies.

If you want your "more elaborate review system" to come
into being to benefit that diaspora, and if you want it to
be available in Emacs itself or to affect anything that is
distributed with GNU Emacs, then `M-x report-emacs-bug' is
the best way to communicate your suggestion about it.

Your suggestion can include code, of course, if you have
some to offer for this.

And if you want that but you have nothing concrete or
specific to request or offer now, and you want to invite
discussion about your incipient idea that might eventually
lead to something real, you can open a thread to discuss
it on emacs-devel@gnu.org, the Emacs development list.

In short, such developments do not fall from the sky.
If you want to affect GNU Emacs then my advice is to
contact those who develop and maintain it.

All of this applies *IF* you care about affecting vanilla
Emacs - see that qualification in the first line you quoted,
above.