Re: Re: Re: Re: On Windows(R) Emacs «shell» mode doesn't prints an outpu

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: On Windows(R) Emacs «shell» mode doesn't prints an output.
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 16:31:45 +0300

> Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 19:16:07 +0700
> From: Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com>
> Cc: "help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org" <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 6:19 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> >> [2]: http://www.siao2.com/2006/07/04/656051.aspx#comment-7971
> >
> > That's true, but you can work around that with wide (a.k.a. "Unicode")
> > APIs, such as WriteConsoleW.  Not easy, but its doable; you can find
> > the recipes and code on the Internet.
>
> Sure but in that case chcp doesn’t affect you at all and is therefore
> unnecessary.

I don't think so.  Windows will always convert the stuff you write to
the console to the codepage that is in effect on that console, because
cmd.exe is not a Unicode app.  So if you want to mix characters from
different scripts, codepage 65001 is still required.

That said, I never tried these techniques myself, so I can easily be
wrong.

> > I think Western, Greek, and Cyrillic are covered, but CJK aren't, see
> > http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/font.aspx?FMID=1262.  So its
> > coverage is mostly limited to European scripts.
>
> Lucida Console is not the only font which is usable in the Windows
> console. See, for example, MS Gothic:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/font.aspx?FMID=2145

I don't see this font in the list of fonts you can select in the
Property sheets of the cmd prompt on Windows XP and on Windows 7.  On
XP, I can only select Lucida Console; on Windows 7 I can also select
Consolas (whose coverage is slightly larger, and includes Thai, but
still does not include CJK.