dired-sort-menu fails

From: Zeitlinie
Subject: dired-sort-menu fails
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 00:00:46 +0200

trying to sort directory listings in a dired+ buffer using dired-sort-menu fails in multiple ways for me:

1) while the doc states that the ‘dired-sort-menu’ popup menu would be bound to S-mouse-2, for me S-mouse-2 will always open the file under the cursor in the dired listing and no popup menu shows up.

2) When invoking the dired-sort-dialog with 'M-x dired-sort-dialog' I do get a an emacs widget library window, which allows me to request for various sorting options via mouse clicks, but for all of such requests the listing of the (hopefully?) sorted directories will not display, instead it fails with:

insert-directory: Listing directory failed but `access-file' worked

upon which the dired buffer window turns empty

3) After playing around for some time I found out, that I can actually get a popup menu to show up on S-mouse-2, however only if I open a sorting dialog widget window at least once using 'M-x dired-sort-dialog' before trying to use S-mouse-2

Any help, in particular on point 2) would be most appreciated

Mark

I'm running:
GNU Emacs 24.3.1 on linux
latest dired+ from elpa Version: 20140528.1926
latest dired-sort-menu+ from elpa Version: 20131226.1833