Re: Circular dependencies between libraries - what to do?

From: Aurélien Aptel
Subject: Re: Circular dependencies between libraries - what to do?
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 18:30:11 +0200

I was reading the `provide' source code in the context of my dynamic

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 9:05 PM, Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> Interesting. Is this considered 'acceptable' coding style in the Emacs
>> world?
>
> It's discouraged, although it is used by some packages included in
> Emacs, IIRC.

The `provide' call is usually placed at the end of the file because
`provide' also evaluates loading hooks (`eval-after-load' code). If
you place it at the start of the file, loading hooks will potentially
use undefined functions/vars despite being in the file.

1: code https://github.com/aaptel/emacs-dynamic-module
   issues/roadmap  https://github.com/aaptel/emacs-dynamic-module/issues