Re: n00b installing 24.4

From: Dale Snell
Subject: Re: n00b installing 24.4
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 12:53:03 -0700

On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 12:44:13 -0700
Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> wrote:

> I've been using emacs 24.3.1 with Ubuntu 14.04, and generally doing
> fine. I downloaded 24.4, and ran ./configure, and got the following
> warnings about missing libraries:
>
> |checking for libXaw... configure: error: No X toolkit could be found.
>
> and:
>
> |configure: error: The following required libraries were not found:
> |    libXpm libjpeg libpng libgif/libungif libtiff
> |Maybe some development libraries/packages are missing?
> |If you don't want to link with them give
> |    --with-xpm=no --with-jpeg=no --with-png=no --with-gif=no
> |    --with-tiff=no
>
> Seeing "jpeg" and "png" makes me think this is some pretty normal
> stuff that is probably on my computer somewhere, but the installer
> can't find them, but I also do not know how to find them!

You undoubtedly do have normal libraries.  What you are probably
missing are the -devel (-dev on Ubuntu/Debian?) packages.  These have
the proper header files and whatnot to allow you to compile programs
that use those libraries.

Hope this helps.

--Dale

--
"Shambling, drooling, bent on destruction and biting people's
heads off... it's either zombies or upper management."