Re: Emacs C tutorial

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Emacs C tutorial
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 01:17:09 -0400

In article <mailman.12491.1414799441.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 E Sabof <esabof@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was thinking something more ABC. Maybe more generic, like things you'd find
> by searching for "emacs lisp basics". Or perhaps something like
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjKtkEMUYGc, which shows from start to finish
> how to achieve (perhaps not even very useful) results using very easy Emacs
> Lisp.

The difference is that almost every Emacs user is likely to make use of
Emacs Lisp, to customize their .emacs. This became a little less
necessary when M-x customize was created, but still most power Emacs
users write some code for things that can't be done by setting variables.

Very few Emacs users ever touch the C code. Emacs has been designed so
that this mostly just contains basic primitives, not many high-level
operations that would need customization.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA