Re: Moving from Ido to Icicles

From: Dale Snell
Subject: Re: Moving from Ido to Icicles
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 07:48:04 -0700

On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 11:22:16 +0100
Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> wrote:

> There is one feature of Ido, however, which is very important for me.
> Is this possible in Icicles?  (I should probably ask "how do I do it
> in Icicles?", though...)  I mean persistent history of visited
> files.  I seldom restart my Emacs, but sometimes I do, and I don't
> want to lose my history then.  (On the other hand, instead of history
> per se, I could probably do with the set of all *.tex, *.org, *.el
> and maybe a few other files for now – and just in case I start to
> e.g. learn Python, I could just add one more extension to the list.
> What might be a better workflow?)

I can't speak for Icicles, I've never used it.  Besides, that's Drew's
job.  :-)  However, you might want to look into "recentf", which is a
built-in package.  It keeps a list of the <n> most recently opened
files.  The value of <n> defaults to sixteen, as I recall, but it
can be changed.  When you access the list (from the menu bar or from C-x
C-r) it presents you with that list.  You can then select the file
you want to open.  I've found it quite handy.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

--Dale