Re: manual activism (was: Re: no C-h i m emacs ??)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: manual activism (was: Re: no C-h i m emacs ??)
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 22:11:56 +0100

Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro <oitofelix@gnu.org>
writes:

> Better yet: buy copies from the FSF and donate to
> the nearest library.

You think I'm the CEO of the national bank? *You* buy
them and send them to me, that is the best alternative
yet.

> That way you supports it in developing GNU and
> promoting software freedom, while helping your
> neighbors who prefer a paper book or don't know that
>
>   sudo apt-get install emacs24-common-non-dfsg
>
> will solve their problems. Of course, they could be
> afraid of "non-free" repositories or not have the
> wisdom to differentiate what's really free from
> what's not.

It is not really about that in this case. Here it is
more like: Computer Kid Kevin wants to make a 3D
shooter or MMORPG, and he also likes to read the
emails of the girls in his school. So he goes to the
public library to look for books on C++ (perhaps C#
these days), and security. He browses the shelves and
guess what, he finds the Emacs and Gnus manuals! So he
forgets all about fragging people in real-time 3D and
he arrives at the mature conclusion that it is better
to *mail* to the girls (perhaps using Gnus) than to
secretly read their correspondence with other guys.
Happy end. FIN.

> Ps: Debian's craziness goes to the length of
> classifying GNU manuals the same as proprietary
> software, conflating both in the same infamous
> repository. :-( That's another reason for GNU to rule
> the world! ;-)

You know the saying: The Microsoft people are
heartless businessmen, and the Apple people are
stinking intellectuals who cannot do laundry. But
worst of them all are the Linux people - they are our
allies!

[thunderous laughter]

--
underground experts united