Re: Is it possible to scroll smoothly in Emacs?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Is it possible to scroll smoothly in Emacs?
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 13:41:56 +0000

Bug Dout <buggsy2@mailinator.com> writes:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:
>
>> (Not that I really need it - I recommended Emacs to one student, and
>> lack of smooth scrolling was one of his main gripes.)
>
> Spoiled young whipper-snappers, in my day I carried punch cards to the
> computer center, in the snow, and uphill both ways. And damn grateful
> for the opportunity.

Without wishing to be negative about the humour, the original question
was a good one.

One of my students, showed me some code the other day; it was a minute
or two before I realised it was in emacs. He's got it set up with
mininal window decoration, with some other windows clustered around. It
looked really very funky and modern.

Next time I saw him, he was trying out lightable, which also is very
cool. He said the editor is not very good, though, and he's having helm
withdrawl symptoms.

Looking cool and modern is important. Personally, I dislike smooth
scrolling but it is often what people expect. I notice that there are
two smooth scrolling packages on emacs-wiki and melpa. Do these do what
the OPs student was expecting?

Phil