Re: emacs vhdl-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: emacs vhdl-mode
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 08:41:25 -0500

> after I failed to reach the maintainer of the vhdl-mode Reto Zimmerman,
> I thought I might share this information just here. His email 'reto@gnu.org'
> comes back with 'Mail delivery failed' Error.

Hmm... AFAIK he's still maintaining it, so it might just be a transient
email problem.

> ---
> I have set up a vhdl-project. The project has about 400 vhdl files. I do get
> the list of files out of our make flow and then convert them to relative
> paths in respect to the default-directory.
> With an unmodified vhdl-mode.el the scanning (from the speedbar) of the
> project and all of its ~400 files takes >5min and 100% CPU.Therefore renders
> the emacs unusable for that time.

> I ran a profiler over the elisp and I ended up commenting out the following
> line in the vhdl-mode.el:
> (setq dir-list-tmp (vhdl-resolve-paths dir-list-tmp))
> in the function vhdl-scan-project-contents
> Since i don't have any wildcards in the paths of my sources this has no harm
> for me.

> This speeds up the process of scanning the project significantly (total time
> ~15sec).

Sounds like an enormous speed difference, worth a bug report.
Please include in your bug report enough information about what you've
done (i.e. what means "getting the list of files out of our make flow"
and especially how you then pass it on to vhdl-mode).

        Stefan