Re: bizare VC mode issue in emacs

From: RJD
Subject: Re: bizare VC mode issue in emacs
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 16:12:02 +0000 (UTC)

RJD <3246251196ryan <at> gmail.com> writes:

> This seems to be the most bizarre anomaly I have ever encountered. Here is
> the scenario:
>
> I am working. I make a change to a source file. I press `C-x v v` which
> takes me to the *vc-log* buffer where I can enter a log message. In that
> buffer I type something like this:
>
> TICKET: 123
> SUMMARY: implemented new function
> REVIEWERS: richard.stallman
>
> And then I press `C-c C-c` which then goes ahead and commits the message.
> Now, when I view the log message the whole thing truncates to ONLY the first
> line. It is as if there was a cutoff point at the first newline character. I
> have even went into the /lisp/vc-*.el file to do some debugging to print to
> the *Message* buffer the value of `comment` - which itself tells me is the
> whole thing, i.e.:
>
> TICKET: 123
> SUMMARY: implemented new function
> REVIEWERS: richard.stallman
>
> But no matter what I do I only get the first line of the commit message.
>
> HOWEVER, on an alternate machine (that is, I use two machines at work and
> used to work on this older machine I am about to talk of) if I use the EXACT
> same version of emacs `(GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
>  of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN)` I can check out the exact same repo in SVN, make
> a change to the same file and do the process again. And - bang - it commits
> and when I run an svn log --limit 1 - I get the entire commit message WITH
> the newline characters.
>
> In order to iron out any possible variables, I have ran emacs -q on both the
> machines. I have ran a diff on all el/elc files in /lisp/ in both emacs
> installation directories. I have verified the versions of emacs with `C-h
> C-a`. I have also ensured the the SVN binary produces the same result with
> svn --version: sure enough, on both systems they are exactly the same version.
>
> Am I going mad?
>
> ** Windows 7 (unfortunately at work). The machine where I am only getting
> one liners is a HP Z420, the other one is not. It is just a HP EliteDesk -
> again, running the same operating system and same instruction-set
processor etc.

Bizarre issue solved:

Yes, I was running two machines with exactly the same processor instruction
set. The same version of emacs; non-different el and elc files. The same
version of SVN! Everything.

The only difference was this: On the machine which - yesterday (i.e. before
this was solved) - produced multiple lines I had - on my $PATH - a location
which pointed to a directory containing a windows shortcut named svn.exe; it
pointed to the actual binary used. Now, on the machine which did not allow
multi-line I did not have this location on my $PATH. Instead it just had the
location of the directory containing the actual svn binary (though, this was
also the case for the machine allowing multi-line, but because the directory
containing the shortcut preceded the "actual" binary-directory, the shortcut
gets accessed first; proved by using "which svn").

So, for some reason when using the svn binary directly I could not do
multi-line. But, when using the shortcut which points to that binary anyway
multi-line was not allowed. I just always treated windows shortcuts like
symbolic links, but perhaps something else is going on here.

Anyway, solved.