Re: run ssh in emacs

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: run ssh in emacs
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 07:17:58 -0500

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 10:36:42PM +0100, Michael Albinus wrote:
> Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> writes:
> > The messages buffer tells me:
> >
> >   Waiting for prompts from remote shell
> >   ssh: connect to host ftp port 22: No route to host.
>
> That shouldn't happen! Could you, please, start a new Emacs stanza with
> "emacs -Q" and try then immediately
>
>   C-x C-f /ftp:issir03@uss-irex.info:

That "issir03" was just a typo, for I made up a bogus account name and
password as I went along.

I now start a $ emacs -Q session and:

        C-x C-f /ftp:Benutzer@uss-irex.info:

There is a brief flashed message:

  ~/.netrc either not owned by you or badly protected.

  I suppose this is normal because ~/.netrc is by nature not protected
  at all. I check /etc/group and see I'm a member of the ssh group, but
  not the daemon or ssl-cert groups.

Then comes a password prompt I suppose because the password from .netrc
was not sent to the web server:

  Password for Benutzer@uss-irex.info:

  There is nothing in *Messages" buffer.

I remake the stanza in ~/.netrc in both column and in line format by
pasting the account name and password directly from the webserver
interface. Here is its format:

        machine uss-irex.info
          login Benutzer
          password Geheim

If at the Password prompt I copy/paste the password from this stanza,
login is successful.

I try all the above on another machine and had same results.

With a $ emacs -Q session I try:

  M-x customize-variable RET
  Customize variable: auth-source-debug [No  match]

Haines