Re: html image rendering not working Win Emacs 24.4 (eww and gnus)

From: Sivaram Neelakantan
Subject: Re: html image rendering not working Win Emacs 24.4 (eww and gnus)
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 22:21:36 +0530

On Mon, Jan 19 2015,Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com>

[snipped 40 lines]

> Then my guess is that you don't have that directory on PATH outside
> Emacs.  (It is not enough to set PATH and exec-path inside Emacs,
> because DLL search is done by system components that don't know about
> Emacs-specific directory lists.)

You are right, I think.  After a couple of hours of confused and
increasingly frustrated debugging with .Emacs and system PATH, I think
I sort of fixed the issue.

I went into control panel and added the ezwinports\bin path to it. I
added it as the first path name.  Hopefully, there aren't any windows
level component that has similar names to what is there in the bin
directory, both for exes and DLLs.

Second, the ezwinport gnutls DLLs don't seem to work when I launched
 Gnus(it complained of 256 bits and certificate errors of some sort).
 I simply renamed them and I think cygwin gnutls is handling it now as
 gnus downloads rss and mails without any issues again.

[snipped 7 lines]

> Or some other similar snafu.  The point is, somehow Emacs does not
> find these DLLs, or finds incompatible DLLs by the same name.  You
> need to find out why.

To summarise, your premise was right; adding ezwinports\bin to system
PATH fixed the issue.  I think.

I probably have to remove the exec-path and getenv PATH cruft from my
.Emacs to reduce future errors but for now, all images are rendering.

 sivaram