Re: Groovy script that reads stdin fails with "java.net.MalformedURLExce

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Groovy script that reads stdin fails with "java.net.MalformedURLException: unknown protocol: c" when run with "shell-command-on-region"
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 16:33:23 -0500

In article <mailman.19772.1423774479.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 "KARR, DAVID" <dk068x@att.com> wrote:

> I'm using Emacs 24.3.90.1 in Cygwin on Win7.
>
> I have a Groovy script that reads from stdin, and it works fine when I run it
> from Bash, piping text into the process.
>
> I'm now trying to select text in an Emacs buffer, and then execute
> "shell-command-on-region"  The text I'm selecting appears to be identical to
> what I'm sending on the command line.
>
> When I run this, it fails with "java.net.MalformedURLException: unknown
> protocol: c".
>
> This obviously has something to do with my PATH, but I'm not sure what could
> be wrong.  This might be more of a Cygwin question than an Emacs question.  I
> tried going into my "*scratch*" buffer and printed out the PATH that the
> process sees, and it obviously has entries in "/c/..." (I set my cygdrive
> prefix to "c").

It doesn't sound like anything to do with the PATH. It sounds like
something is generating a Windows filename of the form c:/pathname, and
the script is treating that as a URL rather than a local filename. I
guess it has something to do with the way that Emacs implements piping
to a subprocess.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA