Re: Yum-like emacs package manager?

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: Yum-like emacs package manager?
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 18:12:06 +0000

> It seems like a natural solution would be something like apt-get, yum,
and YaST, or maybe even cpan or ctan. Clearly much of what those managers
do is unnecessary; we aren't dealing with a full OS, as much as we
sometimes pretend we are. But in particular they perform search and
filtering in powerful and relatively fast ways that would be wonderful to
have in emacs.

> Does anyone know if there's something along these lines in development
right now?

You'll have to be more specific. What features do you feel are missing the
most?
Emacs has fantastic searching and filtering capabilities (see occur, for
instance), so I don't see a huge need to add that onto package.el itself.

As for the async stuff, yes that would be nice. The Paradox package
implements asynchronous package operations, if that's what you're looking
for.