Re: translating numpad keys in linux terminal

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: translating numpad keys in linux terminal
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 02:48:42 +0200

Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com>
writes:

> When I run xev on Ubuntu 12.04 in a gnome-terminal
> and then select the original terminal, xev reports
> nothing when I hit keypad keys. Some keys generate
> sequences that are echoed to the terminal. This is
> the root of the problem. Emacs does not get
> keystrokes directly from X; instead they are
> mediated by the terminal emulator, gnome-terminal in
> my case.
>
> Now, if I click on the window created by xev, keypad
> events do get reported. These events have gone to
> Xev via the X system; the terminal emulator has not
> seen them as directed at it.

... regardless of whatever, with X and xterm and xev
(and possibly the uncanny X-Men as well, tho we have
to look into that), you *are* able to get output that
indicates a distinction between the numerologist
keypad and the bender arrow keys, e.g.:

         keycode 83 (keysym 0xff96, KP_Left)

                         vs.

          keycode 113 (keysym 0xff51, Left)

This tells me, in principle there shouldn't be
a problem for 'emacs -nw' to do the same. Why this
doesn't happen is thus due to some implementation
detail or policy: be it a bug, a coincidence, or
a consideration - either in Emacs itself, or in how
Emacs is run in the terminal.

Perhaps someone in this list that is familiar with
just exactly what the '-nw' option does can
enlighten us?

PS. For me, it works with gnome-terminal as well tho
    I don't recommend using it all the same.

PPS. Here is the entire xev output:

    KeyRelease event, serial 47, synthetic NO, window 0xa00001,
        root 0x22d, subw 0x0, time 20703938, (-1,747), root:(0,767),
        state 0x0, keycode 83 (keysym 0xff96, KP_Left), same_screen YES,
        XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
        XFilterEvent returns: False

    KeyPress event, serial 47, synthetic NO, window 0xa00001,
        root 0x22d, subw 0x0, time 20704914, (-1,747), root:(0,767),
        state 0x0, keycode 113 (keysym 0xff51, Left), same_screen YES,
        XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
        XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
        XFilterEvent returns: False

--