Re: [Emacs, Xorg?] Different icons for servers

From: Javier
Subject: Re: [Emacs, Xorg?] Different icons for servers
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 13:18:19 +0000 (UTC)

> I would like to start Emacs servers, that are recognized as separate
> programs and have separate icons.
>
> I would like to communicate to X or my DE (Gnome-Shell) that each Emacs
> server is a separate program with it's own "class".  I think this is would
> be "changing the x-resource-class for each server" in Emacs lingo.

My guess is that if you are using emacs compiled with gtk toolkit (it
is the default) it will ignore the x-resources .

Try emacs compiled with the lucid toolkit.  You can look in your
distro for an emacs-lucid package or compile it yourself with

./configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid  ; make ; sudo make install

lucid will cooperate with x-resources.  If that doesn't work try
replacing gnome with a simple window manager, not a desktop
environment.  Gnome (also possibly kde and other desktops) may have
dropped x-resources usage.