Re: Long file names in Dired

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: Long file names in Dired
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 11:12:59 +0200

Hi,

>> This idea is even better - use BibTeX. In a .bib file,
>
> I. HATE. BIBTEX. WITH. A. PASSION.
> [...]

I find the format OK.  I can't imagine a vastly superior format for
metadata...

> That said, I like that idea, though I would use BibLaTeX (which is
> a modern replacement for BibTeX, curing many - even though not all - of
> its problems (the main one which it doesn't help is the format for
> multiple authors), or amsrefs, which is less powerful than Bib(La)TeX,
> but has a much saner format for multiple names (and is /way/ easier to
> configure than Bib(La)TeX).

I organize articles like

  ~/documents/literature/FirstAuthorYear[UniqueSuffixAsNecessary]

E.g.

  ~/documents/literature/smith88/smith88.bib
  ~/documents/literature/smith88/smith88.pdf
  ~/documents/literature/smith88/smith88_data.zip
  ~/documents/literature/smith88/smith88_notes.org

I then create

  ~/documents/literature/lit.bib

which is is a concatenation of all *.bib files in subfolders as well as a
special file, various.bib, which holds entries I don't want to maintain.

In addition, I generate lit.{org,html} which summarizes of all metadata
and notes with links to pdfs.

Cheers,
Rasmus

--
If you can mix business and politics wonderful things can happen!