Re: reddit

From: Jai Dayal
Subject: Re: reddit
Date: Sat, 2 May 2015 15:25:09 -0400

Well in the context of technology, modern generally means tools that keep
up-to-date with the latest improvements and changes in technology and
culture. What you're presenting is just a hard-headed excuse. There's a
reason GCC is losing out to Clang, and Emacs has lost to IDEs. Ya'll have
maybe, what, 20 years or so before you guys die or retire? Who's going to
take carry Emacs over for the next few generations? These excuses of "hey,
look, I can implement that feature in 10k lines of Elisp!! Emacs is just as
usable and feature-full!!!!!!!!" just don't fly in the today's world where
there are 10's of IDEs that have an easier user experience. Not to mention,
some things just flat out don't work (C++ code completion in Emacs).

Reddit and stackexchange are far more user friendly than antiquated mailing
lists full of old senile grandpas complaining about "top posting" and all
kinds of other pedantic rubbish. Reddit will also increase exposure to
Emacs as a whole, so people who write software, but are unaware of great
plugins (i.e., the things Tudho writes), will occasionally stumble upon
Emacs threads. I get that the grandpas like to cling to the "way it used to
be", but in the end, modern liberalism always wins out over dogmatic
old-school conservatism.