Re: pushing and popping the mark

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: pushing and popping the mark
Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 03:59:15 +0200

> Quite often, when vanilla Emacs provides only a way
> to cycle ... but completion packages let you
> pattern-match ...

Even tho I was the one suggesting `yank-pop' and
"yank-pop-back" (as I have it implemented) I don't
like cycling and I absolutely don't like
pattern-matching or autocompletion. (Now we speak
pattern-matching as a form of "advanced cycling" or
browsing of a command history - I *do* like
`replace-regexp' and that branch of the business for
editing purposes.)

OK, I don't get into the OPs situation often, so when
I do splitting the window is good enough. But if it
*did* happen to me often let me describe how I would
want it and maybe someone can say if this is already
in a package.

First I'd go to the "source buffer" or buffer part.

Then I'd kill everything with `M-w' (which is
`kill-ring-save').

Then I'd go to the "destination buffer" or
buffer part.

Last, I'd bring up a situation which this dump [1]
illustrates. So there would be no cycling or matching
or TAB completion - I would just hit the command to
invoke the mode (and bring up the pane) and then hit
the letter to insert that exact entry.

Notice it uses (it would use) normal letters for
insert unlike the ispell way which uses 1-9 and only
then letters. The reason is the same old: those chars
are much closer to typing position than the digits and
are thus much faster and safer to hit and much more
integrated in the "typeflow" than those digits which
are like the pelicans of the zoo rather than
city doves.

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/dumps/kill-ring.png

--
underground experts united