Re: Gnus + emacs.stackexchange

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: Gnus + emacs.stackexchange
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 13:00:14 +0100

>>> I get the same error message:
>>>
>>> (wrong-type-argument char-or-string-p nil) in
>>> tabulated-list-print
>>
>> Ok, would you be willing to produce a backtrace?
>> (with M-x toggle-debug-on-error)
>
> This is what it says for `sx-search':
>
>     Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument char-or-string-p nil)
>       tabulated-list-print-fake-header()
>       tabulated-list-print(remember)
>       sx-question-list-refresh(redisplay)
>       sx-search("emacs" "face" nil nil)
>       call-interactively(sx-search record nil)
>       command-execute(sx-search record)
>       execute-extended-command(nil "sx-search")
>       call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
>       command-execute(execute-extended-command)

Ok. It looks like something is setting your
`tabulated-list-use-header-line' variable to nil *between* the buffer
initialization and the list printing. So the
`tabulated-list--header-string' variable doesn't get set (it's
normally set during buffer initialization), but when it's time to
print, the variable is expected to be a string.
I think that's a bug in tabulated-list-mode (which I'll try to get
fixed now), but do you have any hooks or advices that may be causing
that?