Re: Saving gpg password on the file itself

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: Saving gpg password on the file itself
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 17:16:57 +0100

> On Sat, 9 May 2015 17:40:04 +0100 Artur Malabarba <bruce.connor.am@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> AM> Actually, I may have spoke too soon.
> AM> On Ubuntu this does nothing.
>
> What's "this"? What did you do to set up the test, then what did
> actually happen, and finally what did you expect?

"this" is doing
(setq epa-file-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption t)
and then opening a file with symmetric encryption.

The regular behavior is to get a password prompt every time I open and
two prompts every time I save. The variable didn't change that. I was
expecting it to somehow reduce the number of prompts.

Now I understand though, that it doesn't work for recent Gnupg, so I
think that's why.

> AM> And on Arch linux this works for opening the file but not for saving
> AM> (I only get prompted the first time that I open, but still get
> AM> prompted twice every time I save).
>
> AM> Is this because different backends are being used on each system? Is
> AM> there a configuration variable I can use to force a backend?
>
> You're probably using GnuPG 2.x on Arch, which doesn't currently
> allow caching the symmetric passphrase.  Please check.

Yes, version 2.1. I should have read the docstring before my last message.