(next-error) and buffer popups

From: Sam Halliday
Subject: (next-error) and buffer popups
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 02:06:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,

I typically have a couple of emacs frames on my desktop because I have a
multi-monitor setup.

I usually have the compile buffer open in one of the secondary frames, but the
behaviour of (next-error) is a bit frustrating because it will always open the
compile buffer in a new window in whatever frame I invoke it from. This results
in two windows in my field of view showing the same information.

Is there an alternative to (next-error) which does the same "jump to error in
source" behaviour but doesn't popup the compile buffer? The following logic
would be perfect:

  (when (compile-buffer-not-visible)
    (popup-compile-buffer-in-current-frame))
  (goto-errored-source-file-and-line)

Best regards,
Sam