Re: computer and wheel time

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: computer and wheel time
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 04:48:47 +0200

Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> writes:

> Actually, you spend a little time customizing then
> real work goes faster, more accurately.
> It's a win win.
>
> The more you customize, the less time regular
> work takes.

That's true, but only if regular work sticks within
some frame.

Programming is a good example as tho many modes and
languages exist, it is basically about writing code
and dealing with files. You got that configured and
extended then speed kills.

But: if there are completely new things and new
technologies that can mess up your plans. An example
is RMAIL. I used that and spent much time dealing with
it in different ways to make it behave the way
I liked, and also compensating for its drawbacks.
Then I found Gnus which instantly solved all that and
I throw away RMAIL and all my work. But with Gnus, tho
not having the issues of RMAIL, it was just so much
more power and thus a lot more to tweak.
Similarly I did much on Irssi before I found ERC, and
I did much to bridge the gap between Emacs in a
Linux VT and X, just because I had Iceweasel in X.
Then I found Emacs-w3m and again while not having to
deal with the X issues that didn't stop the
config/extend need for Emacs-w3m. Even within systems
it is the same story: I did Usenet with Gnus and
aioe.org and did work on that, only until I found
Gmane which obsoleted much of my work.

But now I'm done. I think...

--
underground experts united