Re: How to get decent java-script support

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: How to get decent java-script support
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 12:25:05 +0300

On 06/25/2015 04:23 AM, Rasmus wrote:
Also, it inserts lots of newlines e.g. for "{}" pairs, which is
annoying for inline functions (e.g. in .map arguments).  I tried to turn
off electricity, but that didn't make it stop with the excessive newlines.

This sounds like you're turned on electric-layout-mode, somewhere in your config.

Some question on JS in Emacs:

First, is it possible to get js(2) mode to allow chain-style indentation
and be less, or more, clever about braces and semicolons?

There are some vars you can customize, but probably not enough.

Second, can one somehow connect hook into some sort of documentation
system with java-script?  At least for standard ECMAScript?  Like
"help(fun)" in Python and C-h for Emacs Lisp etc etc.  At this point, I
could even live with it "just" opening Mozilla dev. pages in eww or
Firefox.

Tern supports completion and documentation lookup.

Third, related to two, can eldoc somehow be taught to work with JS?

That may be a good feature request for tern-mode.

I tried something called tern since it supposedly offer completion for
company.  I don't remember why I dropped it...

Try it again, maybe.