Re: Replace with CR

From: Richard Wordingham
Subject: Re: Replace with CR
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2015 23:59:25 +0100

On Sun, 05 Jul 2015 22:47:42 +0200
"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com> wrote:

> Agreed, but this is entirely another can of worm. why are we using the
> ASCIi control codes for carriage return, or line feed, to separate
> lines? Shouldn't we use instead ASCII control code RS (Record
> Separator, 0x1e) or ISO-8859 (ECMA-048) control code NEL (Next Line,
> 0x85)?  or the new unicode LS (Line Separator, 0x2028), or is it PS
> (Paragraph Separator, 0x2029)?

Because we want the edited text to work.  There is no guarantee that
the above codes will work.  RS is particularly unlikely to work.
Incidentally, NEL is not ISO-8859; try ISO-6426.

> At least in GUI, when you input some text in a text field, this
> problem doesn't occur: you click on the "OK" button :-)

Try doing the substitution converting semicolons to line breaks in
MS Word - it may be doable, but it isn't pleasant.

Richard.