Re: `find-tag-regexp` doesn't find all the matches

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: `find-tag-regexp` doesn't find all the matches
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2015 14:40:47 -0700

On 2015-07-11 18:24 +0200, Raffaele Ricciardi wrote:

> When I use `find-tag` to lookup a symbol, I get more matches than with
> `find-tag-regexp`.
>
> For example, to lookup "sscanf" with `find-tag`, I type `M-. sscanf RET`
> and then `C-u M-.` repeatedly, and I get this matches, one after
> another:
>
>     # define sscanf __isoc99_sscanf
>     sscanf,
>     extern int __REDIRECT_NTH (sscanf, (const char *__restrict __s,
>
> Then `C-u M-.` starts to find matches where "sscanf" is a substring,
> therefore I stop.
>
> If instead I type `C-M-. \_<sscanf\_> RET`, I get this match:
>
>     sscanf,

Are you sure the tags table buffer has a syntax table such that the
symbol boundaries fall where you expect them?  The tags table buffer is
probably in fundamental mode, not C mode (or whatever that ugly language
is :)

So, at least as the next step in debugging this, I would try a more
specific regexp.  Something like

[^a-zA-Z0-9_]sscanf[^a-zA-Z0-9_]

You'll also need to handle the case where it's at the beginning of line,
but that's an exercise for the reader.