Re: Executing many commands on a file

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Executing many commands on a file
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 00:27:44 +0200

jonetsu <jonetsu@teksavvy.com> writes:

> Hello,
>

> After loading a file I have to do several M-x replace-string
> commands.  Is there a way to chain those and have them executed as one
> command ?
>

> And optionally, to have them executed when a file with a certain name pattern
> is loaded ?

Of course.

    (defun replace-multiple-strings (replacements-alist)
      "Replaces all occurences of the keys in `replacements-alist' by their
corresponding value.
    The search is performed in sequentially once from (point) to (point-max)."
      (let ((re (concat "\\("
                        (mapconcat (lambda (entry) (regexp-quote (car entry)))
                                   replacements-alist
                                   "\\|")
                        "\\)")))
        (while (re-search-forward re (point-max) t)
          (let* ((key (buffer-substring-no-properties (match-beginning 1)
                                                      (match-end 1)))
                 (val (cdr (assoc* key replacements-alist
                                   :test (function string=)))))
            (if val
                (progn
                  (delete-region (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1))
                  (insert val)
                  (goto-char (+ (match-beginning 1) (length val))))
                (goto-char (match-end 1)))))))

    (with-current-buffer "some buffer"
      (goto-char (point-min))
      (replace-multiple-strings '(("multi" . "uniq")
                                  ("def" . "redef"))))

You can have something done when you open certain files with a hook.
That could be a mode hook, or a file hook.  For random name patterns, a
file hook:

(defun jonetsu-find-file-meat ()
  (interactive)
  (when (string-match "^/some/path/some[patern]+\\.txt$"
                      (buffer-file-name (current-buffer)))
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (replace-multiple-strings '(("multi" . "uniq")
                                ("def" . "redef")))
    (goto-char (point-min))))

(add-hook 'find-file-hook 'jonetsu-find-file-meat)