Re: way to discriminate between Emacs.app or terminal launch of Emacs in

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: way to discriminate between Emacs.app or terminal launch of Emacs in init.el
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 01:24:39 -0400

> I think this is what's recommended, but I can't tell you why
> `display-graphic-p' is supposed to be better here. ;-)

The "better" is mostly for Elisp packages.  One of the reasons is that
it takes an argument, so it can check whether a given frame is graphical
or is a tty (after all, a single Emacs session can have both).
The other is that window-system can have value `pc' when running in the
FreeDOS port, and that port does not offer graphics mode.

In the use case of the OP, it probably just doesn't matter.

        Stefan