Re: From Gnus to mu4e

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: From Gnus to mu4e
Date: 24 Aug 2015 11:19:15 GMT

Julien Cubizolles wrote:
> * Can OfflineImap or whatever imap sync tool used exclude some folders
>   in the main Maildir folder from being synced to the IMAP server ? I'd
>   like to be able to archive some old mail without it being sent to
>   Gmail.

Yes, using `folderfilter`, which can be a lambda (offlineimaprc is
basically just Python). So I have something like:

folderfilter = lambda foldername: not
re.search('(^Deleted|^Junk|^Tasks|^Calendar|^Notes|^Contacts|^Drafts)',
foldername)

which excludes folders matching the regexp in re.search.

> * Can mu4e use the Gmail labels for search queries ?

There's bin quite some discussion about that on the mu4e mailing list,
and AFAIK there is a workable solution for it. But I don't use it
myself, so I can't really say. I'd check the archives and ask on the
mu4e mailing list if you still have questions.

> * If a message is tagged with several labels on Gmail, does it appear in
>   several folders in the local repository ? On a related note, if one
>   were to move a message from a folder in a repository synced with Gmail
>   to another folder not synced (for archiving purposes), I guess the
>   message would remain at least in the [Gmail]/All Mail folder. Is there
>   an easy way to remove it altogether from Gmail ?

This, too, has been discussed on the mailing list, IIRC.

> * Finally, the mailing list for mu4e doesn't seem very active
>   (especially when you compare it to the one for gnus). Are there any
>   other channels to get some help ?

Perhaps not compared to the gnus mailing list, but I'm subscribed and
can say that the list is active enough. Also, the mu/mu4e maintainer
reads the list and answers questions.

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm
EN:SiS(9)