One-off history for read-string

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: One-off history for read-string
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 14:10:01 +0200

Hi all,

I need to call read-string with some history.  From the docs (and
experiments) I assume that the HISTORY parameter should be a symbol and
not e.g. a literal list.  However, I don't really need to /save/ the
input I get into the history, since each time I use read-string, the
history is regenerated anyway from external source (I'm working on
a client for certain web service, and the history is kept on the server,
so it really doesn't make sense to keep all those in my Emacs session.)

Is it fine to use a temporary, let-bound variable name as the HISTORY
parameter, or is there a better way for a "history" I only need to read
from, not to write to?

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski