Re: Emacs in a terminal via qrsh on Sun Grid Engine - text rendering

From: Javier
Subject: Re: Emacs in a terminal via qrsh on Sun Grid Engine - text rendering
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 15:46:36 +0000 (UTC)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> Are you saying that sending a command to the terminal
> to switch on or off some color causes the cursor to move?  That can
> happen only if the terminal driver is buggy, or if the value of TERM
> lies to Emacs wrt the real features of the terminal (i.e. some problem
> in the termcap/terminfo database).

To be honest I don't know where the problem can be.  To isolate the
source of the problem I would try

TERM=vt100 emacs -nw

If that is still faulty I would run vttest (option 2 and keep pressing Enter)
and compare it with what xterm gives in the local computer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vttest
http://invisible-island.net/vttest/

Also, which terminal application the OP is using?  konsole?
gnome-terminal?  Did he try running xterm?