Re: erin-mode: problem with auto-mode-alist and saving

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: erin-mode: problem with auto-mode-alist and saving
Date: 23 Oct 2015 11:26:41 GMT

Loris Bennett wrote:
> Joost Kremers <joost.m.kremers@gmail.com> writes:
>> I'm pretty sure with edit-server.el you're not really supposed to save
>> the buffer. Just type `C-x #` when you're done editing. That'll send the
>> contents of the buffer to Chrome and kill the buffer.
>
> Yes, it really doesn't look as if you are supposed to save the buffer.
> However, if I'm taking the minutes of an hour-and-a-half-long meeting in
> a corner of the building where the wifi is a bit flakey, my 'C-x C-s'
> reflex kicks in.  However, as the text is only written to the text box,
> it won't help me if the connection goes down just as I try to save
> within the browser.

Perhaps you should just keep the minutes in a separate temp file and
only copy&paste it to the browser when the meeting's done?

> It would be nice if there were some way to attach a file to a file-less
> buffer, just in case.

Found this on Stack Overflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8849661/is-it-possible-to-autosave-temporary-buffers-that-are-not-visiting-a-file

Apparently, `auto-save-mode` will work with buffers that are not
visiting a file.

Also:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18770669/how-can-i-save-as-in-emacs-without-visiting-the-new-file

For ways to manually write a buffer to a file without visiting it.

HTH

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm
EN:SiS(9)