Re: How to IRC?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to IRC?
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2015 01:45:18 +0100

> I'm an (almost) complete newbie wrt IRC. How do
> I start? The EmacsWiki page is basically a bunch of
> people stating that ERC is great.

There are several Emacs IRC clients. ERC is the one
I use and tho I have encountered one bug in particular
(which was ignored on both gmane.emacs.devel and
gmane.emacs.erc.general when I brought it up) - anyway
save for that anomaly I am happy with ERC.

Here is my setup:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/erc-my.el

Also, there are a lot of `erc-' faces!

So you will have to spend some well-spent time getting
it to work to your liking.

As for IRC itself, for people like us, it isn't that
great. Gmane/Usenet is much, much better. But IRC is
good for questions that you know there is
a fast-and-standard answer to. Anything that requires
discussion and follow-ups, use the listbots/newsgroups
as always.

Historically IRC is a playground for havoc kids to
experiment with security and be immature nox-ing each
other, do takeovers - basically boys will be boys, tho
some of these boys are bit more... whatever.
For grownups to spend time "idling" on IRC - I don't
see the sense in that. And I'm more than willing to
have a flame war over that RIGHT NOW! ... No, just
kidding :)

Emacs of course, makes both IRC and Gmane better.
If you don't get an answer on IRC, kill you question,
bring up a message buffer, and send it to Gmane!

Case closed.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573