Re: linum + narrow = hang

From: unfrostedpoptart
Subject: Re: linum + narrow = hang
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 20:04:56 -0800 (PST)

On Saturday, January 30, 2016 at 6:09:09 PM UTC-8, Drew Adams wrote:
> > emacs hangs if I try and narrow while linum is on.  It displays
> > Error in Post-command-hook (linum-update-current): (args-out-of-range 1 1)
> > Any ideas?
>
> `M-x report-emacs-bug'.  Provide a step-by-step recipe to repro
> the problem, starting with `emacs -Q'.

Thanks.  I ran with -Q and then manually loaded parts of my init.el.   It
turned out to be in the custom-set-face section.  Specifically, the default
font included setting a box around it:

:box (:line-width 1 :color "black")

I did this because I had put boxes around other font faces since I liked how it
looked in various modes and I had to put the same size box around default face
or text didn't line up anymore.   If I comment out that one line of my init.el,
everything is fine.  So there's some odd interaction between linum and narrow
if there's a box around default!

 David