Re: on ``An Introduction to Programming in Emacs Lisp''

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: on ``An Introduction to Programming in Emacs Lisp''
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2016 21:00:48 +0100

> Of course, I mean /applications/ here, I don't count
> coreutils, ssh etc.

*iiiiii* - if your were to compile all that manually
setting up even a rudimentary Unix system would be
a challenge.

But there are people who do it. I suppose they get
a very solid under-the-hood understanding if
nothing else.

> Also, I /used/ to get excited by "the newest version
> of this and that, and that many megz RAM", but
> I agree that one outgrows that ultimately.
> When I was a kid, I was pretty excited by hardware
> ("look ma, a one-gigabyte-hdd - whoa!").
> Now I consider my computer a shell for my data, and
> changing computers is an uncomfortable chore instead
> of a period of excitement.

That's exactly right! It was the exact same story only
when I was I kid instead of the one-gigabyte HDD there
was an exciting transition from 800K to
1.4M floppies :)

Some people on this list should be able to tell us of
huge coils of tape if not vacuum tubes :)

> I have yet to outgrow excitement about cool features
> in newer versions of Emacs, though. ;-)

There is no reason to outgrow things that are good!

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573