Re: 64 bit official Windows builds

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: 64 bit official Windows builds
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 23:51:50 +0100

djc <peter.kaiser@gmail.com> writes:

>> Could I ask, what is the benefit of 64 bits compared to 32 bits for windows ?
>
> In emacs I count things that total more than a 32-bit counter can
> hold, and I routinely edit multiple files of hundreds of megabytes.
> Pure 32-bit emacs on Windows simply can't do the former, and is
> v-e-r-r-y slow at the latter, to the point of being unusable.

Are you using the same versions for your 32/64 bits performance
comparisions. IIRC handling of large buffers and large long lines
received some improvements not too long ago.

I can't not depict an scenario where changing to the 64 bits ISA could
change Emacs' speed from very slow to acceptable. If something like that
were observed (on the same Emacs source code version) I would suspect
some difference on the C runtime or on the compiler (intrinsics not
lowered, optimizations not applied on 32 bit code, etc.)