Re: removing white space highlight

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: removing white space highlight
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 03:27:14 +0000

> Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:
>
>>> Of course, there shouldn't be any superfluous
>>> whitespace trailing individual text lines *or* the
>>> file contents itself.
>>>
>>> Here one way to do it ...
>>
>> That is one way to do it. However I don't think it
>> is a good idea to do this automatically every time.
>> I would rather see that it needs to be done and the
>> do it intentionally.
>
> Why?

Most people want to delete whitespace because of version control.
They're working in a team that uses a VC program of some sort.  There's
little reason to delete whitespace otherwise, it doesn't cause any
problems for editing or take up much hard disk space.

In that case the programmer wants to make changes to a specific part of a
file.  Deleting whitespace from the whole file will cause other changes
elsewhere.  Causing spurious changes for whitespace reasons is frowned
upon in most teams.

BR,
Robert Thorpe