Re: Is it obvious that string-match syntax matching is affected by the c

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Is it obvious that string-match syntax matching is affected by the current buffer?
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 19:19:09 +0000 (UTC)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz <at> gnu.org> writes:

> Forget syntax tables: did you know that 'downcase' and
> case-insensitive string match uses the current buffer's
> case-conversion table?

Yes, those are examples of the same thing.

When I work with a string then I feel it should not be affected
by settings of the current buffer, because it's not buffer text
anymore, but a separate object.

But I understand the current behavior won't be changed, because
it could break existing code which relies on it, so it's up to
elisp developers to make sure the correct defaults are used when
calling the function.