Re: Spelling and spell-checking

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Spelling and spell-checking
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 19:57:06 +0100

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> How can I have words that I type be auto-corrected
> to what I want please? I'm specifically thinking of
> words like these -
>
> im = I'm ive = I've thats = that's Thats = That's
> cant = can't monday = Monday tuesday = Tuesday, etc
>
> and other specific words.

This is not a spelling issue or at least it doesn't
have to be, as there is a better way to do it, namely
using aliases.

Here is a couple of examples what you can do with it.
It is actually what I use only with many entries
removed in an attempt to have each entry
qualitatively different.

Examples are: a nickname expanded to bulky long name
(I added that when I wrote an article on the Kon-Tiki
expedition as to not have to spell out his name every
time); data from aliases (the URL, residence, and
phone number - N.B. not just a shorthand, but also
more safe as not error-prone due to boredom when
typing mechanically); and the most interesting case:
the misspelling of "length", which I always get wrong
(even now!) as every super-skilled typist has a couple
of such words which they always get wrong no matter
what... And last, the function that gets executed to
insert the date. Here, when I type "thedate":

   19:50    Mar 16    Wednesday: week 11    month 3 (31 days)    2016     up
4° C

("up" refers to the Internet being up :))

Here is the Elisp:

;; (kill-all-abbrevs)
(let*((write
       (list
         '("watz"           "Watzinger")
         '("hp"             "http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573";)
         '("lenght"         "length")
         '("address"        "Emanuel Berg\nDalgatan 8\n752 18 Uppsala\nSweden")
         '("phonenumber"    "070-254 15 22")
         '("thedate"        "" (lambda () (interactive) (show-time-and-date
t))) ; INSERT
         ))
      (groups (list
                '("ctt" "comp.text.tex")
                '("geg" "gmane.emacs.gnus")
                '("geh" "gmane.emacs.help")
                '("rbt" "rec.bicycles.tech")
                ))
      (both (nconc write groups)))
  (define-abbrev-table 'global-abbrev-table both) )

> Any ideas please?

Yes: don't do it. Typing "'" only requires minimal
hand movement (right hand little finger one key to the
right). Capitalizing things we do all the time.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573